BALANCE AND CONTRAST AD ANALYSIS
1. Find a partner.
2. Work together to find two ads--one that uses ASYMMETRICAL balance, and one that uses SYMMETRICAL balance.
3. Place the ads on a sheet of drawing paper.
4. Identify the GOAL of the ad. (What is the ad trying to do?)
5. Identify the AUDIENCE of the ad. (Who is the ad trying to reach? Describe the demographic as specifically as you can.)
6. Identify the type of BALANCE in each ad. Clearly mark it on your layout.
7. List one way the use of BALANCE in the ad works to create EMPHASIS in each ad. Refer to the techniques for effective emphasis listed on pages 27,28 and 29 in Basics of Design if you need help.
8. List one type of CONTRAST used in each ad. Refer to the techniques listed on page 44 of Basics of Design if you need help.
9. Do you think the ad is effectively reaching the demographic they hope to target? Explain why or why not in 1-2 sentences.